Top five destinations for private jet flyers visiting India
India has enjoyed one of the world’s fastest growing economies over the last decade – and unsurprisingly the country has also seen a significant expansion in private aviation activity as a result.
Alongside the growing ranks of home-grown millionaires and billionaires using private jet charter services, India increasingly attracts international travellers for both business and luxury travel.
The size of India naturally lends itself to private jet travel, as well as its diverse array of amazing destinations. With limited non-stop scheduled flights connecting major towns and cities, chartering a jet is also a way of avoiding lengthy transfers via hub cities like Delhi and Mumbai.
Chapman Freeborn India’s Snigdha Roy says private jet charter in India opens up a number of exotic and elegant destinations for travellers looking for something different.
Here she picks some of her clients’ favourite private jet destinations:
- Hyderabad: As the capital and largest city of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad is an increasingly popular destination for private jet travellers. The city’s airport hosts a fleet of Cessna Citation CJ1 and CJ2 jets – and it’s not uncommon to see larger trans-continental private jet types parked there. Historically, Hyderabad was known for its pearl and diamond trading centres – but today it’s also a fast-growing hub for the information technology industry. Located on the banks of Musi River, the city offers a strong cultural heritage and also boasts some of India’s finest hotels. The pick of these is the stunning Taj Falaknuma Palace which offers luxurious guest bedrooms, priceless art collections and an ornately decorated state reception room.
- Kerala: Kerala enjoys unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought-after tourist destinations for private jet travellers. The region is served by Calicut, Trivandum and Kochi airports – all of which can accommodate private jets. Kerala offers serene beaches, exotic wildlife and an array of cultural attractions and festivals. Alongside a booming business in jewelry, the Kerala region is a perfect destination for travellers looking for adventure, laid back beach culture and relaxation. Set beside the Arabian Sea, the tropical resort of Neeleshwar Hermitage is a favourite for people looking to escape the pressures of modern life.
- Agra: Take a private jet charter to Agra to see the astonishing Taj Mahal – a sight which everyone should see in their lifetime. The best view of the ‘Crown of Palaces’ is reserved for guests at the Oberoi Amarvilas, considered to be the finest luxury hotel in Agra. Built in a style inspired by Moorish and Mughal architecture, the resort is a splendid display of terraced lawns, fountains and reflection pools. The hotel’s famous former guests include US Presidents Clinton and Obama. Private jets flights to Agra’s airport – Kheria Air Force Station – are all subject to official clearance which typically takes 3-5 working days for Indian registered jets and 30 days for foreign registered aircraft.
- Udaipur: Udaipur is often called the ‘City of Lakes’ and the ‘Venice of the East’. The city is increasingly popular with private jet travellers and offers luxury shopping and historic attractions. The world-famous Lake Palace (formerly known as Jag Niwas) is the pick of the city’s luxury hotels. Located in the middle of Lake Pichola, its white marble walls and distinctive design led to it being voted India’s most romantic hotel. To reach the Lake Palace takes around 30 minutes limousine ride from Maharana Pratap Airport, followed by a short boat ride.
- Jodhpur: Take a private jet up to Jodhpur and stay in the magnificent Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, an art deco masterpiece looking out on the majestic Mehrangarh Fort. Also known as ‘Sun City’, Jodhpur enjoys sunny weather all year and serves as a gateway to exploring Rajasthan. A flight from Delhi to Jodphur on a Citation CJ2 private jet charter takes around one hour.
Photo above appears courtesy of Dassault Falcon. The Falcon 900LX was one of the new private jets on show at Aero India 2013, held in Bangalore earlier this year.
Below: The Taj Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad, The Oberoi Amarvilas in Agra, and The Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodphur.